Sunday, February 01, 2009

Ethics reform under the law.






I ran into State Rep.
Al Park
, after the
House Rules
Committee
meeting
on bolo ties and
webcasting.







I recognized his name as one on my list of people
who would cast large shadows over the next rev of
State Statute 10—16-3. link

The Governmental Conduct Act is a completely useless law
supposed to hold Legislators, public officers and employees
accountable for discharging ethically the high responsibilities
of public service.

A few years ago,
I asked the clerk of the 2nd Judicial District Court,
how many prosecutions there had been under the Act.
The clerk said;

"None. I guess it has never been necessary."


Attorney General Gary King
is out and about, pushing
reform for the Act.








He would like to extend the coverage from just state level
to include county, city, and municipal officials.



I was very impressed with Park's participation in the hearings;
short, sweet, on point.

So, I begged a moment of his attention as he was leaving,
to chat about my interests in ethics reform in law.

I saw surprise in Park’s eyes,
when I told him that school boards are currently exempt
from the Act by means of an Attorney General’s ruling.

He found it incredible.


Parks then indicated that,
he was on it.




photos Mark Bralley

No comments: