Friday, May 30, 2008

State Auditor Hector Balderas is apparently deaf.

If you hold any one of the 28 pages of the Meyner Audit
close to your ear; you will hear each and every line item
whisper; "there needs to be a full scale forensic audit."

If you hold the entire report to your ear;
1. APS Finance Division never wrote down financially sound policies and procedures, and
2. never required senior administrators to follow the few they did have, and
3. they never really kept very good books on the spending of a billion tax dollars a year

it screams;

"there needs to be a full scale forensic
audit of the entire leadership of the APS"


Balderas, who apparently can hear nothing, is doing nothing.

In a Journal article this morning, LINK sub req
Balderas is quoted on the audit he has ordered of the NM Land Office;
Citizens and taxpayers deserve to know whether or not "... the state of New Mexico and citizens are receiving a maximum benefit from their public resources."
Perhaps if it is written out for him;
Mr. Balderas,

Citizens and taxpayers deserve to know whether or not
they are receiving the maximum benefit from the
more than a billion dollars a year that they are
spending in the APS,
as well.

cc Hector Balderas upon posting.

State Auditor Balderas stepped up, on the record, almost immediately.
"I am disappointed that you would assume we are not
working on certain issues that have recently been
brought to my attention.
I would be glad to sit down with you.
I am fair and honest.
I respectfully ask that you be fair with me as well."
I responded;
Sir,

I too, make every effort to be fair and honest;
and to hold myself accountable when I am not.

If my frustration has manifest itself unfairly (to you),
I owe you an apology, and I offer it without reservation.

I will feel better the day I read in the Journal,
about an impartial forensic audit of the APS, by your office.

I trust that that will be a day in the not too distant future.

I am grateful for your time and attention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well well!
Looks like you're getting to them. Let Hector know, you're not the only one watching. If he would only guarantee whistle blower protection, (unlike Mr. Lopez), we could have a whistler's convention. He would get an earful from each and every site and department in APS. We'll see, we're all watching!

Anonymous said...

So, did you get him to set a date to sit down and talk with you? Don't walk away from that offer - it may never come again.

Anonymous said...

thanks Ched for all your hard work!