Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hector Balderas; NM State Auditor for life?

State Auditor Hector Balderas offered to "sit down" with me
to discuss my concern that the leadership of the APS will
escape an honest and impartial forensic audit of;

  • an organization that never bothered to write down financially sound policies and procedures (according to the Meyners Audit),
  • never bound themselves to what policies and procedures that they did bother to write down (according to the Meyners Audit), and
  • who didn't keep adequate records on the spending of a billion tax dollars a year, (again according to the Meyners Audit).

For reasons largely unimaginable to anyone who has not
fallen victim to serious retaliation for blowing the whistle
on corrupt, incompetent, and powerful public servants,

I likely will not take him up on his offer to meet in person.

In every previous instance where I "talked" to people like
these, and created no incontrovertible public record,
the truth of the meeting, and of that which was discussed,
was twisted around by unscrupulous administrators,
board members, and their shyster lawyers from Modrall.

There is a reason why they avoid at all costs, the creation
of a public record of what they say and do.

District Attorney Kari Brandenburg for example;
once offered to discuss on the phone, her failure act upon
credible evidence of felony criminal misconduct by
APS Administrators related to the scandal in the
APS Police Department; their Peanut Butter Gate,

and steadfastly refuses to answer a single legitimate
question, on/in an incontrovertible record.

I am reasonably, and perhaps unreasonably as well,
afraid of them, and what they can, and will, do to me,
rather than accept accountability for their conduct and
competence as public servants.

I am compelled to stay on the record, out of what I
perceive as a real need for self protection.

I will never, ever, again meet behind closed doors with
anyone in a position to do me harm. I have already
absorbed all of the harassment, retaliation, and abuse
that I am able.



Hector Balderas may be a fluke.

His record so far as the NM State Auditor, is of actually
auditing
divisions of public service; to wit; the current
audit of the NM Land Office;

apparently unafraid of letting the chips fall where they may.

Which does not bode well for future political aspirations.

Except as the people's auditor; able to run on his record
and unbeholden to anyone but voters and his conscience.

I understand that Mr. Balderas may be unwilling, and
perhaps unable, to make specific commitments, such as;
"I will, or will not, begin a full scale forensic audit
of the leadership of the APS by say; July 1.

"I will either begin such an audit, or I will attach
my name and my reputation to an assurance that
no public monies have been wasted or stolen due
to the utter lack of accountability in the leadership
of the APS."
He understands, I would hope, that those who have been
victimized by public corruption and incompetence their
entire lives; view any unwillingness at all to set a date
certain, as evidence of the beginning of yet another
cover up of powerful public servants and their sins.

It is my hope that Mr. Balderas recognizes the need
for him to stand on the record and make commitments
that cannot be then ignored.

If he does, he will be unique among New Mexico politicians
and public servants. He will earn the support the "little"
people, who will elect him over and over again.

He can be NM State Auditor for life.

cc Hector Balderas upon posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you are saying Ched.
I was a whistle blower in another system in another state and had written evidence from the perpetrator and his/her own verbal angry confessions, then misdirection, spouted before the reviewing superintendent. Neverthe less, I found myself unemployed on the last day of school, she/he maintained their principal position, and he/she even tried to revoke my stste educators license.
Like my situation, it isn't your responsibility to sit down with these yo-yos and tell them how to do their job...that's what they were elected or hired to do! And if they aren't doing their job, then they're not going to liten to us, "Joe Public" and then if we rub them wrong, we have all sorts of payback to endure...even when we were doing our jobs as good citizens.
I think it's hard for people that haven't been in this position to fully appreciate what it can do to a good person. It can demoralize, humiliate, destroy future opportunity, make enemies, and systematically harrass you.
Having been in your situation, I respect what you do. It's a big evil machine that often grinds up good people!

Anonymous said...

If only he would offer real whistle blower protection and have an open meeting with stake holders present,videotaped, on the record, if only.

If not, then all we really have is more of the same.