Thursday, June 26, 2008

Since the leadership of the APS will never have a town meeting of its own volition;

it is up to citizens to declare their own town hall meeting
with the leadership of the APS.

Unless and until the leadership of the APS
summons the character and the courage,
to host town meetings on their own;

town hall meetings will take place only
during the public forum at every board meeting.

We have an advantage here.

If we declared a town meeting on Mayor Marty Chavez,
he would simply no-show and that would be it.

The same with Governor Bill Richardson,
or any other powerful public servant.

They would simply no-show. It is their "privilege"
to avoid if they want, having to answer even legitimate
questions about their public service.

Like public servants don't have any obligation to stand and
deliver good faith responses to legitimate questions about
their public service; and about the fate of the power and
the resources that we have entrusted to their use.

But the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education
is different; they have to been there. They can't no-show
their own board meeting just to duck questions.

Although it is worth noting that there are board members
with reputations for showing up to the meeting,
after the public forum, and after any opportunity to be
"petitioned", is long gone.
According to the first amendment to
the Constitution of the United States;
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
or abridging
the freedom of speech, or of the press;
or the right of the people
peaceably to assemble, and
to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Your right to stand up at the public forum and petition your
government, could not be made more clear.

The leadership of the APS would have you believe that,
during the public forum, you are not allowed to ask questions
of them, individually or collectively.

It simply isn't true.

Their rule that;
they cannot be compelled to answer questions;

is their own invention and serves only to enable them
to avoid having to answer questions in the only venue where
they have to meet their constituents face to face; and
eyeball to eyeball.

They cannot prevent you from petitioning your government
by asking a question about their use of power and resources
that belong fundamentally to you.

They may, if your question is upsetting enough,
have you arrested by their Praetorian Guard;
the APS Police Department; a publicly funded,
private police force that is accredited by no one;
that is certificated by no one; and who reports directly to,
and only to, the leadership of the APS.

Past practice is that they will arrest you,
take you to the lobby, and then release you
without filing any charges, without answering any questions,
and no records will be made of the incident.

That is seeming increasingly less likely; but it is reckless
to presume that they are not capable of doing something
they have done at least a half dozen times before.

If you stand at the public forum/town hall meeting and ask
a legitimate question; you will not get an answer.

In truth,
your right to ask questions has not yet been established.

It is the position of the leadership of the APS that;
they have no obligation to response candidly,
forthrightly, and honestly to legitimate questions
about their public service and the fate of your resources.

That is their position at least;
... so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education
is different; they have to been there.

Except Gorden Rowe of course. He has lost my vote. I'd get more representation from our Union!

Anonymous said...

I've been that guy that has had to take the other guy saying controversial but true stuff away. It sucks for the taker awayer guy too! I went to a police academy, I took civics. I debated contistutional law in high school. but I had a job to do, a line of authority to follow

when people who are not cops make decisions about detentions and arrests, or even just removal from a meeting, they can often err on consitutional issues

the way I made up for it? Don't hassle the guy with court papers. give him my number and let him call me and tell me what is up in detail. Try to help him, and if he is still not satisfied, just try to be civil and know you did all you could

that was in Jefferson County, and due to confidentiality I can't tell you more, but I got to know and like the guy who had been seriously screwed by a few people in the system years back, none of the ones who messed with him were even there anymore

I hope you and Bill and Steve can communicate, I can't by agreement speak or try to communicate with them anymore. Any ideas I have on security and safety and emergency management will not be head, are not wanted by them. They have people better trained than me doing it, the ramparts are covered. Joe the former School cop is not allowed on any campus without written permission, and only for good cause. (Ie - I have a kid, marry a lady with a kid, go speak about brain injuries and have a pre-approved speech with no cussing, you get it)

They are helping me move on. I know good people work in APS, even if they see the malignant rot several yards away and choose to do nothing sometimes, they can indeed cut the Hell out of the cancer they can reach.

I love and cherish my time with APS, and am endevoring to forgive all the people I thought screwed me over. Moon. Lovato. the kids who beat me up. the people who got bamboozled by Moon and took his side initially against concrete evidence

So, if I start ranting again, please give me shit so I can snap out it ok ched, I have a degree to complete

Joe Lopez
your buddy