Saturday, July 04, 2009

Boorish behavior at Tea Parties.

There are more than a few reports of boorish behavior at
Tea Parties, link as but one example. There are apparently
some who are even proud of the manner in which they
(mis)behaved, link.

Like every other human being, I have a sphere of comfort and
safety from which I need to be coaxed, before I will show up
somewhere to do something.

My impression of the Tea Parties as essentially leaderless and
unfocused adds to my lack of enthusiasm for participating.

The prospect of being associated with boors, cements the deal.

Their leaders, if there are any, need to put an end to the boorish
behavior, it only hurts their cause.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength.

April Clark said...

The event to which you linked at Uncle Sam's Tavern was not a Tea Party. It was more like a lynch mob. A spontaneous gathering of outraged citizens who went to see their elected official the day after he voted to burden them with the largest tax increase in American history, in the name of fighting the lie that is global warming. While I agree that the behavior at that gathering was less than savory, I also completely understand the frustration of the participants. They call and write their Congressmen and state their opinions in a civil manner - reports are that the calls AGAINST the Cap and Trade bill outweighed those FOR it by 200 to 1 - and the buffoons in Washington completely ignore them. After a while, one becomes convinced that "boorish" behavior, or worse, may be the only thing that will get Washington's attention.

If you want to know more about Tea Parties, visit the home page at Uncle Sam's Tavern - there are three stories there about REAL Tea Parties that took place yesterday. I assure you the behavior was anything but boorish. These were warm, friendly, polite and patriotic people, reminiscent of small town gatherings in days gone by. I urge you to attend the real thing and see for yourself before you judge them.

ched macquigg said...

Point taken, I have not attended a tea party myself. I apologize if I have incorrectly categorized them.

In fairness, I have attended a number of rallies for other reasons, and marveled at the different types of people who participate, some of them not adding much to the cause.

Thank you for your kind attention to my blog, and for taking the time to write a thoughtful and constructive comment.