Monday, August 31, 2009

Ortiz y Pino echos the call for same old, same old.

NM State Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino has a guest post hanging on Heath Haussamen's site, link. In the post he offers three pills to cure the ethics ills in New Mexico;

  1. contribution/contracting prohibition,
  2. whistleblower protection and
  3. an ethics commission with teeth.
Ortiz y Pino and I part company when he suggests the make-up of the Ethics Commission;
"... and made up of men and women appointed to staggered terms by the governor and confirmed by the Senate."
I am stunned that Ortiz y Pino, a candidate for Lt. Governor, thinks that a panel of good ol' boys, appointed by a good ol' boy, and given the stamp of approval of a whole bunch of other good ol' boys, is going inspire confidence in the process.

It shocks me that, after having months to think about the best way to impanel an Ethics Commission, the best he can do is more of the same old, same old.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.




photo Mark Bralley

No comments: