Sunday, October 18, 2009

What would a 1.5% cut in education look like?

I have to use made up numbers here because I, like every other taxpayer, am not privy to actual numbers. Also, I will engage in some rounding off for ease in understanding. I will happily amend my figures if/as more accurate numbers are provided.

State budget $6B.
40% of $6B, "education's" share of the budget; $2.4B.
1.5% of $2.4B; $36M.
The percentage of the education budget that will be exempt from cuts according to Governor Richardson's edict that cuts will not affect the classroom; 95%

Bottom line, $36M must be cut from the remaining 5% ($120M).

Cutting education by 1.5%, excepting classroom spending, means administration will have to be cut by 30%.

APS and other districts statewide are expected to trim their administrative budgets by 30%.

6400 Uptown Blvd.


This should be interesting.




photo Mark Bralley

No comments: