Sunday, September 09, 2007

Character Counts!, ?, ??, ...Not!

If the interests of students were of interest to the leadership of the APS; they would be require students to model and promote The Pillars of Character Counts!

It is in fact board policy.

Well kind of. The Student Behavior Handbook used to read; Students are required to model and promote the Pillars of Character Counts. I just discovered that the wording has been changed. It now reads; Students are expected to model and promote...

If Monica Armenta ever catches up on her emails; perhaps she can email an explanation, a defense, or even an acknowledgment that the student standard of conduct has been lowered without public input; without communication from the leadership of the APS.

If you are among those who believe that the leadership of the APS, as the senior role models for 90,000 children, should be accountable the same standard of conduct that they establish and enforce upon students; you realize that by lowering the standard of student conduct; they have coincidently lowered their own standard of conduct.

Now the lawyers of Modrall no longer have to except the leadership of the APS from the "requirement" to model and promote accountability to a higher standard of conduct.

They have only to defeat accountability to that "expectation".


If Charlie Moore thinks it has unfolded enough; perhaps he could have the Journal investigate and report upon this.

If there is a blip on Bill Slakey's radar; maybe the Trib will print the truth before it dies.



tap, tap, tap. ...is this microphone working?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libel suits, my friend, even if spurious, can DRAIN an entity of funds. We in Blog land can complain and vetch because this is just us expressing our rights as Americans to free speech.

But Charlie and the rest? I want to say they have learned to have a higher threshold than cops have (probable cause) before they pounce/print. They want a slam dunk on the people with cash before THEY go broke!

But, they CAN choose to stand alone, and pay the price of their convictions. Everyone wants to keep their little system of income going, I blame no one for wanting a job that pays the bills. But there is a difference between gluttony and fairness. Where is the respect in telling others you are worth 7 times as much as they are?

And I have to catch myself too - how can I be fair if I am not also forgiving of those who have transgressed? How can I say I am a man of Character? Am I true to my ideals, not just when it suits me, but always?

J. Lopez

Feet of clay, all of us. Making accusations without merit is like throwing stones through your glass home. Expect microscopic scrutiny once you mess with the monied elite. And be ready to defend yourself, boyo, this is Albuquerque.

ched macquigg said...

Joseph is a more forgiving man than I.

Before I can forgive I need to see some remorse.

Anonymous said...

In my youth, I naively became a teacher because 1) I thought there would be no moral conflicts [stupid! stupid!], 2) and I wanted to be an example for young people to have to inspire them, no matter what their situation is.
I can't count how many times I have been "politely" threatened that caring about students "isn't your job"...yet it seems to be no one else's job either.
Nevertheless, despite the threats, occasional retaliation and bad attitude, I percieve onwards.
I have "dared to defy the system" by: giving poor kids a little pocket money for dinner, pushed the counselors to arrange talks for kids that have witnessed murder, gave "hints" where a homeless child might find safe shelter, and trying in vane to protect a child that was being forced to be impressed into a gang.
The "system" didn't help me with these things...they fought and delated me on it.
I'm not a "hero", I'm just trying to do the "human thing"... but if I'm getting barred and delayed, I imagine it happens to many better people than I.
Just a thought.