Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jason Call, Calls Winston Brooks on his "homo humor"

Occasionally one runs across a particularly well written
comment on a blog post. The following post was left on
Democracy in New Mexico, link
on a thread regarding Winston Brooks' remark.

Jason Call
is running for a state senate seat. link

As a high school teacher who has worked closely with
HS gay and lesbian kids, in human rights and tolerance
awareness clubs and forums,

one thing is absolutely certain: words hurt.

They hurt so badly that sometimes kids kill themselves.
I've seen it happen.

I have to tell my own students on an almost daily basis
that casual comments about "That's gay"
have meaning beyond what they might intend
("that sucks") - if you want to say" that sucks" then
say just that, but when you say "that's gay"
what you are implying is that "gay = sucks."

Kids can be 'trained' not to say certain things, and
they may not understand why until they are older and
more mature, at which point they'll hopefully make
a conscious decision to alter their language,
but when Brooks makes his statement,
he justifies the undoing of all the things I try to teach
my students to be more understanding of.

The remark; mountain or molehill?


Winston Brooks' stonewalling the issue;

an egregious disregard of his obligation to be a role model
of the Pillars of Character Counts;

... a mountain!


Who in the APS, is going to show children what character
and courage and honor look like?
Who is going to be the role model
that shows students what it looks like
to stand up and accept accountability for one's conduct.


Do we really have to reach back three centuries to find
a story that may not even be true;

about a person that did something wrong, admitted it,
and then accepted the consequences?


You can't just tell kids about heroes,
you have to show them some;

sometimes you have to be one.

Good leaders tolerate accountability;
great leaders demand it.

The leadership of the APS needs it desperately.
The 89,000 of our sons and daughters in the APS
desperately need a role model of their standard of conduct.

Does $273,000 a year not buy us a fit role model?

Winston Brooks,
Show us please; that you have
the courage and the character to be a role model;
enough character and courage in fact, to be the
senior most administrative role model in the APS.



note; it is difficult, at least for me, to cut and post comments and
keep line and paragraph breaks intact.
I've tried to edit accordingly, without changing any words or punctuation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I couldn;t have expressed this better myself. I believe that kids should see examples of kindness and acceptance, so we will not have tragic feelings invade young lives.
Brooks' comments were awful because they could be taken 2 ways--- 1) Yay...a chance to hug my fellow employess and get an umph! out of it or 2) I don;t hug men, that makes me feel uncomfortable, therefore I have issues, yet I'm expected to be the role model for getting over such things.
Paula and Co pat themselves on the back for the :best gathering of candidates ever" and this is what they come up with?
I don;t know if they got a lot of cojones, are downright ignorant, or maybe it's just hillbilly logic that I'll never undersyand?
--An APS Instructor