Tuesday, October 02, 2007

As certainly as night follows day

there will be a spate of allegations of inappropriate behavior between adults and children in the APS.

At least some percentage of those accused; will be innocent. And not innocent in a legal loophole/weaselry kind of way. But in a little person is upset because they were required to spend their recess finishing an incomplete assignment, "So I'm going to say the teacher touched me", kind of a way.

The lives of those so accused, will be largely destroyed; irretrievably destroyed.

In particular if the media publicizes the adult's identity.

Adults don't get over accusations of inappropriate behavior with children.


On the other hand, you can't trust the leadership of the APS to keep the secret appropriately.


I would suggest a panel of trusted journalists, law enforcement, administration, and child advocates, who will decide on a case by case basis, what constitutes fair consideration of the interests of all stakeholders, in the release of information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother!

Anonymous said...

True story... in another district where I was a teacher (a Middle School), this high-ranking army officer's daughter was chatty, inattentive, mean to less fortunate girls, rude and disrespectful in every way. One day, I had my fill of it and sent her to ISS for 10 minutes at the end of class. She continued the behavior the next day, so I had her wait behind me and made her be the last to leave.
The next day, she went to the principle and said I shoved her up against a wall, breathes down her shirt heavily and made lewd comments.
I was suspended for 5 days for an "investigation", then reinstated. (Though they found no wrongdoing, I was not asked to renew the next year.)
This girl and her friends then went after a 25 year veteran and tried to claim abuse on her because they didn't like her, and they ahd a taste for blood now.
Sometimes people are innocent. It sucks to maybe go easy on a guilty person,but...some accused are innocent.