Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flip-flop, or what?

Flip-flop is a pejorative term, wikilink.

It is akin to but, different than, waffling, urbilink.

So, does a political candidate get to change their mind?

When they do, it is almost always at some substantial cost,
the opponent beating them up over their waffling and/or
flip-flopping on an issue.

Does that make sense?

Consider; two otherwise identical candidates for any Office.

One says,

"I've made up my mind; don't confuse me with facts."
The other says;
"I have an open mind. I will listen to and consider differing opinions on any issue; and then adjust my position on that issue, according to my conscience."
For which candidate, would you cast your vote?

The hard part is discerning the difference between a thoughtful change of opinion, and change of convenience, a cynical effort to gain more votes.

No comments: