Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Does Denish understand Charter School Funding?

Today, it is reported that Lt Gov Diane Denish has accused DA Susana Martinez of intending to take dollars from public schools and spend them in "expensive private schools".

Martinez says she has no intention of taking money out of public education.

In truth, I suspect that Denish wants voters to believe that Charter Schools are not "public schools". I suspect she thinks voters are ignorant enough about Charter Schools to believe that they really are just expensive private schools.

Every dollar that follows a child from a broken school to a working school, stays within "public education". A Candidate that supports Charter Schools is not advocating for taking money out of public education.

Does Denish not get that, or is she simply trying to play on voter ignorance?

Just for the record; there are some significant problems associated with students moving out of large schools into smaller ones. Variety and opportunity to participate in elective classes is diminished, to point to but one example.

If anyone can point to significant expenses, that are not related to "public schools" making life difficult for their challengers; like making them find buildings of their own rather than using empty rooms that taxpayers have already created, please point to them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, did Chad ever miss the boat on this one. I guarantee you that Denish knows more far more about education than he does, but that's not what's especially troubling about this post. Denish wouldn't have said "wealthy private schools" if Susana were merely talking about charters. Yeah, Chad, we all know charters are public. But Susana included private schools, and even specifically said "Christian" schools, in her statements.

That's what makes this posting so troubling--Chad just entered the full-on partisan deceit game, unless of course he simply didn't do the research to look up what Susana had said. If he didn't do his homework, I apologize for calling Chad deceitful, but it still leaves him with a totally false posting. Chad, you're better than that, amigo!

ched macquigg said...

Carter,

For what it's worth, my name is ched - with an "e"

My post was based on the positions expressed by Susana Martinez at the news conference. I admit that I am not conversant in any previous positions she might have espoused; I don't have any problem with candidates honing their positions as they become more conversant in the issues (within reasonable limits). In fact, I would be worried about any candidate that never changed their positions - it would mean they aren't paying attention if nothing else.

While you might want to offer your ""guarantee" that your "Denish knows far more about education than I", I would challenge that assumption. I have twenty five years experience in education in "the trenches", and while I don't claim to know more than she, or anyone else, I am confident that I can express qualified opinions on public education.

I may be wrong on occasion, but I am not deliberately deceitful.

Never the less, I do appreciate your taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate being kept on my toes by means of civil disagreement.

I have always believed that I have more to learn from the people who disagree with me, than the ones that do. Thankyou

Unknown said...

Ched--my apologies on your name. I do know it, but just mistyped!

I enjoy your posts, and am glad that you simply weren't aware of SM's statements about moving money to private schools. It's all over Monahan and others, but I don't get to even a tenth of the things I should read every day, so no reason to hold others to a different standard.

Looking forward to more substantive discussions with you!

ched macquigg said...

And I with you, sir.