Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Open letter to Veronica Garcia, NM Secretary of Education

Re: IPR o6-220, 06-222, 06-223

I call your attention to complaints filed with the Educator Ethics Bureau. The complaints have been denied a principled resolution.

The scandal unfolds under your letterhead. I am offering you an opportunity to involve yourself appropriately.

The New Mexico Educator Ethics Bureau has ended its investigation of an allegation of ethics violations by APS Superintendent Elizabeth Everitt.

The investigation took three months and involved no investigation what so ever. There is no record that a single question was asked of anyone, ever.

Elizabeth Everitt was not even asked apparently, if the allegations were true or not.

Ms. Everitt never had to say; "Yes, it is true that I refuse to be held accountable to any meaningful standard of conduct. And in so doing, I violated not only the standard of the code of ethics for educators, but of any recognized, accepted, and respected code of ethics."

Nor did she have to say "No, the allegations are not true. My record is proof that by my personal example I have modeled honest accountability to a meaningful standard of conduct."

She told neither the truth nor a lie, and yet she was found innocent. Actually they didn’t use the word innocent, that would have been a lie, and on the record. So they said that I had not proved guilt.

I had offered that a code of ethics that requires accountability by personal example; is violated when a person refuses to be held accountable for their personal example.

Apparently that was not proof enough.
And then the custodian of public records helped to cover it all up.
Accountability has been dodged, leaving no trail at all.

Nobody said they weren’t good at it.

No comments: