Thursday, November 16, 2006

APS Superintendent Everitt apparently enjoys the support of the Educator Ethics Bureau

Within the New Mexico Public Education Department lies the Educator Ethics Bureau.

If you file a complaint alleging ethical misconduct by an educator, they will investigate the complaint and assign consequences. They have the authority to revoke educational licensure.

All of the APS Administrators who refuse to hold themselves honestly accountable to a meaningful standard of conduct; do so in violation of any justifiable code of ethics. If for no other reason, they fall short of the standards of the Code of Ethics for the Education Profession. The standard requires that they teach ethics by personal example. People who choose not be held accountable to a standard cannot also maintain that they are modeling accountability to a standard.

Almost two years ago, a complaint regarding this ethical misconduct was filed with the Educator Ethics Bureau against APS Superintendent Elizabeth Everitt.

I called recently to check on the progress. I was told that because the case was still open, I am denied any information about the complaint.

I found it a little hard to believe that it would take almost two years to investigate a simple case. Also I doubted that just because they claimed to be investigating, that they could claim any exception to public records law. I filed a request for public records with the NMPED. I asked for my records, any record that substantiates their allegation that they enjoy exception to the law, and a copy of their “Rules”. It is ironic that you have to file a public records request in order to see the "Rules"; but hey, it’s New Mexico.

The deadline for the surrender of the public records has passed.

I don’t know how my complaint was resolved, they won’t show me the rules, and they won’t show me the rule that excepts them from having to show me the findings or the "Rules".

An agency of the state government has failed to comply with the requirements of the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act.

There is nothing that I can do about it. Theoretically the attorney general and the district attorney are at my disposal in the prosecution of my suit to obtain public records. In truth,they actually do have better things to do. They aren’t going to help. I’ve been there.

The AG’s website suggests, “hey, just sue ‘em yourself". So there you are in District Court standing opposite two Modrall lawyers. Imagine a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. It wasn't pretty. You don't get the records, ever. They have lots of time and lots of money. Tax payers give it to them in order to provide the best educational opportunity for their sons and daughters.

Apparently Superintendent Everitt is not accountable even to the law. The state agency that is charged with holding her accountable won’t, and they can’t be held accountable either.

Constituents have a right to know, before the election, before the filing date, that these folks can not be held honestly accountable to a meaningful standard of conduct. That they are not accountable even to the law.

The records will not be surrendered until such time as they no longer represent a problem to eight men and women and their lawyers.

Did I mention that taxpayers are paying for the lawyers?

No comments: