Thursday, October 23, 2008

Due process, due schmocess

All men are not created equal, and if they were, they would
not remain equal for long.

Some accumulate more power and influence than others.

Rules are written to level the playing field between the powerful and the powerless.

Due process guarantees that when a complaint is filed, the person against whom the complaint is filed has a process available under which they can defend themselves against the complaint.

Due process also guarantees that the complainant has a process available under which they can pursue their complaint.

One of the first things that the powerful and the unscrupulous do, is to eliminate due process for anyone who files a complaint against them.

Witness the Republican Party of New Mexico, and the good ol' boys that run it. Examine their rules and you will find no due process for complainants. You will find mention of a Rules Committee, but no mention of due process. The good ol' boys run the system and write their rules on the fly.

No where in the Republican Party Rules will you find any defense of my right to due process in my complaint against one of the good ol' boys, Jon Barela.

No where in their rules will you find my right to find out what happened in a Rules Committee meeting over my complaint that happened two days ago. Even in response to my email, asking for the results of the hearing of my complaint, Rules Committee Chair, Lou Melvin still has not shown even the common courtesy of even letting me know the results of the meeting.

Due to the circumstances, I rather suspect that the good ol' boy has slipped the noose on what appears to be a straight up and down violation of the rules. It would have had to have happened under circumstances which are apparently indefensible. Were they defensible, I would have been informed about them, and I would have been allowed, if appropriate, to lodge a complaint as a result.

It would appear that I have no right to due process in the Republican Party of New Mexico, and it is no wonder that they appear to well on their way to being handed their asses in the upcoming elections. Family values my aching ass.



I have been a registered republican my whole life, and still,
I can't help but think that they may just be getting exactly
what they deserve.

No comments: