Monday, September 27, 2010

KOAT covering up APS Whistleblower scandal, why?

I recorded an interview with a reporter from KOAT TV.

I pointed to two facts;

  1. APS School Board Policy requires their Audit Committee to "review and approve" all whistleblower complaints, and
  2. they have not reviewed or approved even one. More than 200 whistleblower complaints are being denied due process.
Their failure to provide due process to whistle blower complaints may well be criminal.

I also pointed to the only two excuses that the board has offered to explain their failure. Both come from the mouth of School Board Member David Robbins;
  1. we are breaking no federal laws; and
  2. federal privacy laws preclude public review and approval of complaints.
The first excuse is specious; the board has a responsibility to follow its own published policy regardless of whether the failure to do so violates federal law.

The second is simply deceitful. No one, to my knowledge, has demanded public hearings. The Audit Committee routinely adjoins to executive session to discuss matters that are reasonably kept secret from the public.

I emailed KOAT News Director Sue Stephens and invited her to offer any good and ethical reason for KOAT's failure to follow up on the story. I wrote that I could think of only one reason; to cover up the Board's misconduct; either out of deference to board members, like NM Broadcasters Assoc President Paula Maes, or as an exercise of a personal vendetta against me, as I have often written about her (KOAT's) failure to investigate and report upon the ethics and accountability scandal in the leadership of the APS.

If she responds; I doubt she will, I will publish her reply.

In the absence of a good and ethical reason to not cover the scandal, the only remaining explanation is that Stephens and KOAT have in fact, joined Kent Walz and the Journal in a cover up of the scandal.

No comments: