Monday, December 29, 2014

Non-partisan APS School Board Election usurped by "the Democrats" and "the Republicans"

I don't use terms like "the Democrats" or "the Republicans" normally.  I think their use obfuscates open and honest discourse on important issues.  Sometimes, I have no choice.

It's hard deny that "the Republicans" would like to pick the winner in District 7, link.

It appears that it would be equally hard to deny that with no opportunity to re-elect "Democrat" Marty Esquivel, they would elect his successor; John Jake Lopez, link.
 

I don't know John Jake Lopez.  I don't know if he's a "Democrat"; I suspect he might just be.

For all I know, John Jake Lopez might fully intend to put the best interests of students before his own, and before the "Democrats"'.

For all I know, he might intend to stand up for all stake and interest holders and fight for their seats at the table.

As far as I can find, he is yet to express that intention.

I look forward to someone asking him to his face;
Will you support marginalized stake and interest holders by creating for them; a venue where they can participate in open and honest two-way communication with the leadership of the APS, and further, to  participate meaningfully in decision making that affects their interests?
Any answer except yes, means no.
No answer, means no.

There is no seat at the table for anybody
 (except the most powerful)
unless and until there is a seat at the table for everybody.

If marginalized stake and interest holders want a seat at the table where decisions are made, they need to take seats away from the "Democrats" and away from the "Republicans", and then sit in them themselves.




photo Mark Bralley

2 comments:

Michelle Meaders said...

If you want to know what John Lopez stands for, read the part of his website called Meet John: http://www.johnjakelopezforboard.com/#!meet-john/ctvq

He sure seems to be advocating for students.

I wish more of the candidates had websites or Facebook pages we could go to! And that they would put their events on them so we can meet them.

ched macquigg said...

Michelle,
I don’t know John Jake; I look forward to meeting him.

I do know that those who intend to govern with the best of intentions, still intend to govern.

I respect John Jake’s 40 years of experience, but not more than I respect the combined experience, education, intellect and dedication of all of the rest of us together.

Does he intend to gather power unto himself, to spend with good intention, or intend to delegate real decision making power back to those who power, and resources, they fundamentally are?

grateful for your time and attention
ched