Wednesday, January 03, 2007

There's a school board election ahead

Yesterday, all of the school board candidates had an opportunity to meet with representatives of the unions of the people who tend to the needs of 98,000 of our sons and daughters every day in school.

I promised them a seat at the table where decisions are made.

The same promise is made to every stakeholder in any decision in which I participate as their public servant.

I guarantee that promise with a signed resignation; to be executed the instant that it has been impartially determined that I have failed in my public service; to hold myself honestly accountable to the student standard of conduct; the Pillars of Character Counts.

I offered the opportunity to regain control over their schools beginning with the meaningful participation of stakeholders in local decision making.

I offered to reestablish the authority of adults over children in schools. I will begin by reestablishing the moral authority of adults over children, by restoring to the employee code of conduct the expectation that, “… in no case shall the standard for an adult be lower than the standard for students…”

I offered to end the waste of human and financial resources by ending administrative corruption and incompetence. I intend to reach that goal by establishing for the Leadership of the Albuquerque Public Schools; honest accountability to a meaningful standard of conduct; accountability for their character and their competence, even against their will.

Leadership in the Albuquerque Public Schools will be by personal example.

I offered to surrender the truth to stakeholders. There will be absolute transparency; more than that, there will be illumination of the truth.

A good faith question will receive a good faith response. There will be a public forum at board meetings and, it will be on the record.

Board members are stewards of more than a half a billion tax dollars every year. They have a significant impact on the intellectual, physical and emotional growth of 98,000 of our sons and daughters.

It makes a difference who gets elected.

No comments: