Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Few surprises at bullying forum.

I was surprised that APS Executive Director of Communications Monica Armenta was in attendance but played no role. I would argue that communications would be a huge part of any solution to bullying.








I was surprised that I was allowed in without any harassment from APS' Chief of Police Steve Tellez or one of his underlings.

I did feel shadowed all night.

I've been told I'm just being paranoid;
though not without reason, link.



I was surprised when Board Member David Robbins approached me to talk about the need for character education as prong of any earnest anti-bullying effort.

He offered what I felt was a commitment to talk about the need for character education at the board meeting tonight.





I was surprised that Board Member Lorenzo Garcia did not participate.











I was not surprised that School Board enforcer Marty Esquivel was a no-show.











I was not surprised that APS Supt Winston Brooks tried to pull off a bullying forum without presenting any data whatsoever; not even on bullying itself.

Is it that unimportant how wide spread or not bullying is? Is it that unimportant to know how successful previous anti-bullying efforts have been?

Is it that unimportant how students in general, not just bullies, behave at school?

Brooks is hiding the data for one of two reasons;

  1. he's embarrassed by it, or
  2. he hasn't collected any.
It's been nearly a year since Brooks was asked for a candid, forthright and honest accounting of student discipline in the APS, link.

What is he hiding?

I was not surprised that APS provided for redundant note takers. I will be surprised if they share them with interest holders. Brooks and the board go on these "information gathering" tours all the time; point to one on APS' award winning website where the notes are shared as was promised.

I am not surprised to find the Journal relentlessly reporting nothing.




photos Mark Bralley

No comments: